It s easier on the joints and you get a good cardio workout. Biking when you are on the road is a great way to get rid of any cobwebs after hours of driving. The good part is that it is free to do and you can safely do it just about anywhere.
It is not hard to find a front bike rack for your vehicle. All you have to do is buy a rear bike rack and place it on the front. Of course, you will have to put a front receiver hitch on your car or your truck. There are no special front bike racks to buy.
To learn more about his issue, just continue to read our article. Biking is a great thing to do when you are on the road and you can d it as a family. Take a few minutes to get all the information you need to travel with your bikes this year.
Yes and no and by no, we mean that there are some key issues you have to avoid doing or you may get a ticket. That ticket is not for carrying bikes on the front of your truck or car but for some other issues that the bike rack interferes with.
1. The bike rack cannot block your front license plate. This may not be a problem for drivers from those states that do not require a front license plate. But for those drivers that are required to have a front license plate on their vehicles, their bike rack cannot block it.
2. The bike rack or bikes cannot block your view from your windshield. That means the rack has to be low enough so that you can see without any obstruction. You need a clear field of vision when you are driving.
3. The bike rack has to be mounted safely. This is a legal issue as if the rack or the bikes fall off, someone could get injured or vehicles could get damaged. Double-check the installation to make sure the front hitch and rack are secure and that the bikes do not move while you are driving, turning, and so on.
If you are afraid that your license plate is going to be blocked by your bikes or the rack holding them, it may be possible to get an auxiliary plate for your local DMV office. Just give them a call and see what they say.
When you meet these few legal issues, you should be able to drive with your bikes attached to your hood. One other thing, some states may regulate how far your bike racks can extend in front of your vehicle so be careful and look for any information from the states you want to travel to.
The next section will talk about actual bike racks. In this section, we will list a few front receiver hitches that you will need to make this set-up work for you. Of course, you would need to match the two devices to make sure they will fit.
Also, you will need to match the receiver to your truck. There is no universal fit:
1. CURT 31078 2-Inch Front Receiver Hitch- This under $200 device is designed to handle different items like a cargo carrier and a bike rack to name two. It is easy to install. Plus, it is made from corrosion-resistant materials, and it can hold between 5000 and 9000 pounds.
2. Draw-Tite 65078 Front Mount Receiver- This device also comes with a 2” square receiver opening and it too can hold almost 10,000 pounds. For installation, no drilling is required even though it is a bolt on model. A black powder coating makes this hitch look good.
3. Reese Towpower 65043 Front Mount Receiver- this front receiver hitch is made for trucks and SUVs. You should be able to get your bikes to where you are going with ease. All the details of the previous two hitches will apply to this model making it very versatile and handy to have
4. CURT 31322 2-Inch Front Receiver Hitch- this model is for your GMC Suburban or Chevy Silverado. The design is different so you really have to match the hitch to your specific tow vehicle.
The two main brands that we saw for this device are Curt and Reese. There will be others but these two companies seem to dominate the front hitch industry.
When you are doing this search on your own, watch out as the term bike rack for search engines usually turns up the rack for a bicycle. Not for a truck. You may have to be very specific in your search terms and clarify as best as you can that you want a bike rack for a vehicle.
The following options are normally rear bike racks but with the 2” square receiver you should be able to place them on your front hitch.
1. IKURAM R 2 Bike Rack- This handy device tilts down so you can remove or load your bikes with ease. Plus, the arms also fold down not in use. Made from steel and given a black powder coat to protect it from rust, etc. As well as make it look good. Come with a lifetime warranty.
2. MaxxHaul 50027 Hitch Mount Bike Rack- For bikes with frames from 20 to 26 inches in size and the rack does fold up for convenient storage. Also, it can hold up to 80 pounds, 40 for each bike, and comes with the standard 2” receiver.
3. LEADRACKS Bike Rack for Hitch Mount- 3 bikes can be placed on this rack. It can hold up to 110 pounds making it easier to carry all your bikes to your next destination. Plus, its 2” receiver works with almost all vehicle designs and models.
4. Bike Rack for SUV- this bike rack also holds up to 3 bikes. Made from steel tubing and powder coated, this option only holds 80 pounds of a bike. The cost is reasonable, $80, and can be found on Amazon. Takes only 5 minutes to install.
You should be able to find more brands and rear bike racks that will work o the front of your car. The key is to get the right hitch for your vehicle and make sure it is mounted safely and securely.
Your local bike store should be able to help you with all the details from purchase to installation.
There are some of these options available as well. They may or may not be in large supply. It is hard to say how popular they are. Here are two or three of those options:
1. Allen Sports Premier 2-Bike Trunk Rack- Costing just over $100 this style of bike rack can fit most vehicles. Your owner’s manual will be able to tell you which vehicle it will fit.
This option will hold 2 bikes weighing up to 70 pounds combined. Plus, it has a quick snap installation design.
2. Allen Deluxe Trunk Mounted Bike Rack- also from Allen’s sports store, this deluxe model also holds 70 pounds and 2 bikes. Plus, a padded lower frame keeps the bikes from hitting your car.
Sides straps help keep the rack and your bike nice and stable.
3. Saris Bike Racks, Bones Car Trunk Bicycle Rack Carrier- This rack is compatible with a wide variety of vehicles. It can fit over spoilers and still hold 2 bikes at the same time.
It weighs about 11 pounds but it can hold up to 70 pounds combined weight. Also, it is American-made using 100% recyclable materials.
4. Thule Gateway Pro Trunk Bike Rack- is an honorable mention and this option can hold up to 3 bikes. You should still be able to open your trunk with this rack attached t your car.
There is 7” of space between bikes making them easier to attach and unload. A cable lock can secure those bikes to the rack when you are not around.
This should not be a problem. The key to doing this is to make sure you have the right hitch first. A rear hitch is not going to work on the front of your vehicle.
You will need to buy a special front hitch that is made for your vehicle. Then you have to bolt it in place. But before you do that, you have to make sure the bike rack you own or want to buy will fit that front hitch.
Once it is done, all that is left to do is make sure the hitch is installed correctly and both the hitch and the bikes are secure. After that, check your front license plate and windshield view. Make sure the one can be seen and that you can see out of the other without difficulty.
Then attach your bikes. You should not have any trouble traveling with bikes attached to your front end after everything is installed correctly and legally.
Do a test drive to make sure you can see and that there will not be any problems when you have to turn corners. When you are satisfied, enjoy your trip.
To help you, and before we get to those guidelines, there are different discussion forums for RV and truck owners on the bike rack. You can visit the and get some more great advice as people attach bikes to their front end all the time.
Here are some tips on what to look for when you are looking for a bike rack to use:
1. Weight- how many bikes will you be bringing with you and how much do they weigh. This is not just for your bike rack but also for your truck's GVWR. Bikes and bike rack weight counts towards that total as well.
2. Buy a bike rack that sits low- you cannot block your vision so be careful here. If you cannot find one that does, you may need to use a different part of your truck, RV, or trailer.
3. Watch hood access- this can be a problem and you may have to take the bikes off to access your engine compartment. Look at the design of your truck’s hood and the bike rack to make sure you have easier access.
4. Watch the airflow- not only can the extra weight help overheat your engine but the combined rack and bike design may block air flow. That may help overheat your engine as well.
5. Brand- this will apply to both your front hitch and bike rack. Go with the brand that has the best reputation. Also, make sure the rack and hitch are made from top-quality materials. You do not need either falling off on you halfway to your destination.
6. Price- The best bike racks and hitches may not always be the most expensive. You can find solid devices that cost less than famous brands. Make sure both devices fit your budget.
We say both here as you may need to buy a front hitch as well as a bike rack.
Taking your bikes with you on vacation is a smart idea. You and your family can take a break from RV life and enjoy the great outdoors while on a bike. It is easy to do with the right hitch and bike rack.
The front of your truck is a great place to put a bike rack if you do not have room in your truck’s bed, rear bumper, or rear trailer bumper. Just buy the right rack and front hitch.