You want to upgrade your vacations. In order to do that you need to get rid of your old RV or camper, etc., and purchase a new more modern version. There are ways to do sell your old RV and get the most money out of your sale.
When is The Best Time to Sell a Motorhome or RV? The best months to sell your RV or camper is in January and February. You do not want to do it during the holidays as people are not thinking about their summer vacations yet and are distracted by the numerous celebrations they attend.
Or when the time gets closer to summer. To find out more about the best time to sell your RV, just continue to read our article, it is filled with tips and other pieces of information you should find helpful to you
Tip 1: Avoid the hard sell approach- your prospective buyers won’t enjoy being pushed into a sale so take it easy, be calm and patient. The right people will eventually come along and fall in love with your vehicle
Tip 2: Find the right price - you need to be fair and keep the emotion out of your price setting. Click on this link, NADA Guidelines, to help you find the right and honest price for your RV.
Some people think that there is no real best time to sell your RV. Their thinking is that you can make a sale at any time of the year and not suffer in price or have to wait a long time to move your vehicle.
Other experts feel that once the holidays are over, that is the best time to sell because people are changing their thinking from the holidays to their summer vacation. They are beginning to make their plans and the right ad could influence them to think about owning an RV.
Also, you may want to consider a week or two right before spring break. Many people are thinking of going somewhere warm and want to take a lot of friends with them. Your RV may be just the ticket they need to have a great time before school starts up again.
One of the worst times to sell is when winter hits. Many prospective buyers are looking for a deal because they think they are saving the dealer or owner the expense of winterizing or storing their RV. This may be a good time to buy off a dealer but not for you, the money trade-off may not be in your favor.
Tip 3: To get the best price you need to make sure your RV is in a showroom finish quality. A dirty RV turns off prospective buyers in a heartbeat. Also, remove any foul odors and make sure the black and gray water tanks are clean and empty
They say that after the holidays is a good time to sell your RV. This holds true in South Florida as January is the month to move an RV. The southern part of the state is filled with snowbirds at this time who may be looking to upgrade or change their vehicle.
Keep in mind that you will be competing with dealers and the spring shows if you wait too long. Sometimes February and March are still good months to sell your RV but after that, you will have lots of competition from the new models being sent to the market.
That is something you have to watch out for as you may be selling in 2020 or even 2019 but the dealers and manufacturers will be displaying 2020 or 2021 models. Those models will be filled with upgraded top of the line equipment and luxuries.
Tip 4: Be honest- that is the key to selling at any time including the right time. Don’t lie or hide issues from prospective buyers. Let them see what they are getting and if their offer is close to your selling price, don’t hesitate or wait for another offer.
This is as important as using the best time to sell your vehicle as you won’t get a sale, no matter when you list it. If you place your ad in a low traffic outlet, you may never get a sale because no one saw that you want buyers.
Here is a short list to advertise your RV:
1. RV websites- there are a lot of them on the internet. You just have to do your research to find out the best ones for you to use. These websites may charge a small fee for listing your RV but it may be worth it in the long run
2. Camping World- this is a great place to list your RV and they will do it for free. Plus, they handle the paperwork; they inspect and take the photographs needed and even help with the financing. Just check them out at this link
3. eBay, Craigslist and RV classifieds- these are all good options as well. The key is to make sure you have great photos of your RV. You have to write a good ad as well. RVTrader.com is also a great option.
4. Use the internet- make and post a video about your RV or trailer or camper. But restrain yourself and do not talk about your great vacations or what your children did in those videos. Keep the topic limited to the camper, its features and specs
5. Your local newspaper- classified ads may not always be the best but they do have people who read them. You never know when someone in your hometown is looking for a good used RV at a fair price
6. Use a for sale sign- it may not have the views an internet site may have but it still works. The tried and true old-fashioned ways may be better for you and bring in better-qualified candidates. But you must be prepared to waste time on what is called lookie-loos. These are people who only want to see an RV up close and personal. They have no intention of buying so patience is the virtue needed for this sales method.
7. Your local RV dealer- they will have contacts you won’t see as many people will approach them first. It may cost you a commission but the price may be worth it if your RV sells fast
Tip 5: Make your RV presentable- even if the market is hot you still need to make sure your RV looks good. At some flowers, some good pictures and maybe replace a piece of furniture or two. How presentable your RV looks may tip the decision-making process in your favor
There are myriads of ideas that you can utilize to sell your RV. Here is another short list of ways to get your old RV into new hands:
Tip 6: Write a good ad- make it a strong ad with all the relevant information included. You can get wordy but stay on topic and list the information potential buyers want to know
Finding the right time to sell your older RV is important. If you can connect with a motivated buyer, then you are good to go. But it isn’t just the right time to sell that is important.
There are other things you need to do to make sure your RV sells quickly and at the right price. Follow good advice and the right tips to make your sale happen the way you want it to.