Even if that help comes from non-traditional sources, having it may help you avoid disasters when you are on the road and towing a nice trailer behind your vehicle. That constructive help can come from unique sources, like your trailer hitch.
One of the common problems you may experience with this trailer hitch is increased ball movement. This problem may start from the problem of pin size. The pin may not be compatible with the hitch. The solution is to take measurements to make sure the pin is in the right spot.
To learn more about the common problems as well as read some reviews on this hitch, just continue to read our article. It has the information you want to know about so you can decide if this hitch is for you. Take a few minutes to get this important information.
This hitch is supposed to be a revolutionary invention. What makes it revolutionary is that this may be the only hitch that comes with a built-in scale to measure hitch weight.
This scale helps you see before you start driving if the hitch weight is under upper limits. Also, it takes a lot of hassle out of calculating the actual hitch weight that is done with other trailer hitches.
Inside the hitch is a hydraulic piston that is compressed when you hook your trailer to the hitch’s ball. This piston operates the scale and the result is you get to see your trailer hitch weight in seconds not minutes.
There is a little more to the operation than that but we will get to that in a few moments. The cost of the hitch depends on the size of the drop you will need. They are priced between $299 and $479 through the weigh safe website’s online store.
This device comes with a lock so that you can lock the ball level in place. Plus, you will get 2 differently-sized balls in the kit to make sure your trailer will fit this hitch.
If you look at the construction aspect of these hitches, you would answer that question with a positive response. These hitches are made from aircraft-grade aluminum and fine steel.
On top of that, this hitch and its components are covered in chrome to protect against corrosion and rust. Then, the company that makes this hitch enabled it to hold and tow high trailer weights. Those tow weights go from 7500 to 21,000 pounds depending on the size of the ball and hitch you buy.
Then the maximum tongue weight is 1500 pounds for the 2” shaft and 2000 pounds for the 2.5 to 3-inch shafts. The ball is made from stainless steel. From that standpoint, yes, these are good hitches.
But from a repair perspective, these hitches do have problems that may undermine their effectiveness. They have common problems that most owners will encounter at some point in time but there are good solutions to resolve those issues.
The common problems keep this hitch in perspective and they may be better than other options but they are not perfect.
There are problems you need to be aware of and here is a short list of those ones that are more common than others.
1. Hitch gauge miscalculation- there is a chance that these hitches will not be accurate. The source of this problem would be the hydraulic fluid inside the hitch. If it has worn out or there is some internal damage you should replace the fluid or fix the damage.
2. Increased ball movement- this happens when you have installed the hitch improperly. Or the pin size does not match the pinhole size and it is too loose. Just change the pin to a more compatible hole. Or you may have a problem with the hitch ball and it will need to be replaced.
3. Receiver slack- this happens not so much with the original and real weigh safe hitch. This problem takes place when you buy a knock-off from a third-party vendor. Watch your speed and keep it under 12 mph on rocky or uneven roads. If you make a U-turn, you may experience this problem as well.
4. Extremely noisy setup- this problem may come if you do not lubricate the hitch. Lubrication should be done no more than twice a year. Or you have a sway problem but the weigh safe hitch works with independent sway bars so adding one or more is okay.
5. Drawbar displacement- if you use a drawbar for extra safety that is okay. The weigh safe hitch allows this use and works with drawbars so you can adjust the drawbar if needed. To solve the problem go to a hitch ball or remove the drawbar.
6. Improper installation- this can happen very easily if you are not very good at working with your hands. Double-check your installation before you get moving as the problem can cause an accident. Use an expert to install it to avoid this problem.
One reviewer provided a lot of praise for this hitch. He felt that there was not one better made hitch, construction material, than this one. Also, he liked the easy-to-read scale, the green and red backgrounds telling what is good and what is bad tongue weight.
He also liked the fact that his hitch can be adjusted to meet tongue weight restrictions. He also said it took the guesswork out of calculating tongue weight.
Then on Amazon, out of 569 reviews, not purchases, 84% of the buyers gave this hitch 5 stars. Another 7% gave it 4 stars. One of the 3-star reviewers did not like the fact that the hitch started tarnishing one month after initial use.
Another 3-star reviewer stated that the machining of the product was off and he could not get it to move when the hitch was in the drop position. Another reviewer was disappointed when the scale did not work.
Another did not like the poor quality control process as 2 of his 3 hitches broke on him. The part that broke was also the scale. On the positive side, one 4-star reviewer liked the customer service when he reported a broken scale.
He had new parts and it seems that the scale works now. Most of the reviews, both good and bad, focused on the scale. This seems to be the weak link on this device. Hopefully, the company can overcome this weak spot.
Two other reviewers did not like the fact that the scale would not read that well below 1000 pounds. Plus, the locks were not keyed the same
This is a bit difficult to say as most people we found during our research liked this hitch and did not mention any real problems with it. The biggest problem you may run into will be the scale.
Since it is made by the same company, the scale may have the same problems as it does with the regular trailer hitch. Also, one user said the anti-sway feature was poor.
Some people may have installed the hitch badly and criticized the hitch and the company and not their installation work. Another criticism was that the scale pushed the ball back too far and that added to a possible sway increase in their minds.
In the end, not too many people are criticizing the weight distribution version of this hitch. They are more worried about sway and they feel they do not need a scale to get the correct tongue weight for their towing situation.
- Regularly check the hitch and all its connections before towing.
- Make sure the weight of the trailer and its load is within the capacity of the hitch.
- Use a weight distribution hitch with built-in sway control.
- Regularly check the tire pressure on both the tow vehicle and the trailer.
- Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions when using a weight distribution hitch.
The biggest tip you can follow is to never exceed the tongue weight or even the hitch weight when you are towing a trailer. Watch how you pack your items to make sure the weight is distributed evenly
This new style of hitch may be revolutionary. It does remove the guesswork out of calculating tongue weight but only if the scale is working correctly. Not everyone is impressed by this new technology and that is okay. This hitch is not for everyone.
The biggest problem to overcoming any problems you may encounter with this new hitch is to make sure it is installed correctly. Get some professional installation help if you think it is a bit much for your skills and situation. This may be the perfect hitch for you if you hate calculating tongue weight.